Somewhere along the line we forgot. We (the Church and her leaders) forgot that our mission is not about drawing people to us or to our beautiful buildings. We are not commanded to bring people to our way of thinking or to our particular style of worship. We are not even told to win people to our friendly group.
We are to be contagious. And some of the things above help us become attractive, but they are secondary to our true mission. Our aim is to bring people to Christ. Consider these verses from Scripture:
- “And I, When I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.” (John 12:32).
- And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:12).
- Jesus said to him, “I am the way the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6).
- Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” (John 8:12).
- Philip in Acts 8:12, 35 declared the good news about Jesus.
There is nothing in these passages about preaching your church, bringing people to church, or manipulating worship to bring them in.
To be about the Father’s business, we must take the message of the Good News of Jesus as Christ to the world. This means you talking about Christ to those you contact and living consistently for Christ day in and day out. “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” (Luke 19:10).
To be about the Father’s business we align ourselves with the Head of the Body. This means we live our lives the way He determines. This means we come to Him in worship the way He desires. And He put all things under His feet and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body . . .” (Eph 1:22-23).
It is all about Christ.