This is the outline I used for the sermon on Sunday, September 26, 2010. There were very favorable comments. The goal was to get us thinking about our relationship with the world and to challenge our adults and teens to live pure lives. – Scott
We live IN the world but we are not OF the world
- This is a really good phrase that should describe our lives as Christians.
- We have to live in this world, but we should not be worldly — like or of the world.
- Rom 1:26-32
- Dishonorable passions
- Lesbian / homosexual activity
- Serve own desires
- Do not acknowledge God
- Practice all kinds of unrighteousness
- Those that may not APPROVE of those that do.
- Is there any doubt that what Paul writes about the Gentiles of the Pre-Christian era parallels our growing Post-Christian society?
More Biblical lists of Worldly activities?
- Gal 5:19-21 – “pornea” translated “sexual immorality in the ESV
- Eph 5:3-5
- These activities are NOT what God wants for man.
- Much less does He want His children involved.
- 1 Thess 4:3-5
- Abstain – hold oneself off / distance self from
- The world is evil
- Since the fall of Adam and Eve, Noah’s day, Sodom & Gomorrah the world stays the same.
- Hold on – Rom 2:1
- Avg. teen spends 3-4 hours watching TV / day. 83% of teen programming / commercials contain sexual content.
- 50% of Christian men regularly view pornography
- 20% of Christian women regularly view pornography
- 20% of Christian adults admit to extramarital affairs
- 42% of Christian teens are sexually active by age 18.
- Note the word CHRISTIAN!
Are we IN the world only or are we now OF the world as well?
A few Passages from the Heart.
- Remember you have influence
- Be wise
- Think spiritually-minded not physically-minded.
- Know Christ will return
- Be prepared in your life for His coming
- Not of darkness, but of the light.
- Be sober (in control of self)
- Encourage each other to walk in the light.
- Sexual immorality emotionally, spiritually, and physically affects more than self.
- You were bought with a price – the blood of Christ.
- Live for God.
- Sexual intercourse outside of marriage joins Christ in the activity if you are a Christian.