I heard on K-Love radio yesterday morning that many people are searching for answers on how to be a better person. It is one of the top searches as we begin a new year. After thinking about this for a while, I thought I would share a few ideas.
- Smile More: This is what radio host Amy (from Skip and Amy) suggested when she shared the story. I think that is a good place to start and a good practice.
- Hold Doors / Elevators Open: Maybe I am old fashioned, but I really believe that this simple gesture is one we need to keep practicing. Holding a door says to other people, “You are important enough for me to serve.”
- Put Down the Phone / Tablet: Take those earbuds and bluetooth phone connections out of your ears too. Instead, talk to those people around you. Engage in your present physical reality and build relationships with people you are with.
- Listen with More Intention: Listen to those you talk with. Really hear what they have to say. Ask them what they mean and how they feel – then listen to their answer.
- Pray for Others: Pray for them more than you pray for yourself. Pray for those that oppose you too.
- Be the Best Employee / Employer / Student You can Be: Be your best and then do what it takes to be even better.
In my estimation being a better person in 2019 comes down to this daily reminder, “It is not about me.”
Maybe Jesus was right – no, not maybe, He was right, because He is all that is right when He says, “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them . . .” (Matthew 7:12). In other words, treat others the way you want to be treated.
What would you suggest to help us become better people in 2019?