Billy Joel sang, “I don’t care what you say anymore this is my life, Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone.” Western society screams, “It is my body, I can do with it what I want!” We then begin to sacrifice our bodies to the gods of:
- Pre-marital sexual relations,
- Extra-marital sexual relations,
- Homosexual relations.
We believe after all that “It is ALL about me!” – whatever “it” is. We are concerned only with what makes me happy or makes me comfortable. Something must be good if it will satisfy my convenience. I have MY RIGHTS after-all! It is all about me! Could we be wrong?
Is IT all about ME?
Or is it? Look at 1Co 6:13-7:5. The Apostle Paul says, “you are NOT your own.”
- Husbands and Wives, you do not belong to you. You belong to each other. You are the property of your spouse. 1Co 7:4.
- Christians: We are Purchased, both body and spirit (1Co 6:19-20) by the blood of Christ (1Pe 1:18-19). You do not belong to you and I do not belong to me.
- We are now the home God’s Spirit, (1Co 6:19-20). Given as earnest for our future at the moment we obeyed the Gospel (cf. Act 2:38; Eph 1:13-14). This realization should impact the way we live.
- We are to glorify God in our bodies (1Co 6:20). Since we are members of Christ and He of us (1Co 6:13-15). We are to use our body for the Lord and NOT for ourselves. We are the people of his possession zealous for good works (Tit 2:14).
May we each seek to be a living sacrifice for God and not for self.