A few years ago, I had the experience of being a Moderator (Quiz Master) for the Walker County Quiz Bowl. I asked questions to 9 groups of 5/6th grade teams and 9 groups of 7/8th grade teams from across the county. There were 5 rounds each grade grouping on Monday and 4 rounds on Tuesday. Each round consisted of 25 toss up questions and bonus questions. The quizzes covered topics like art, science, literature, sports, games, math, history, geography, television, and religion (including knowledge of Bible stories and traditional hymns). Did I tell you this was a Public School Quiz Bowl?
I think it is important to mention these public school children did better on the religion, specifically Bible, questions than they did on the geologic time-table questions that had their basis in the theory of evolution. So much for many people’s claims that public schools are brain-washing our children against the Bible and toward Evolutionary Theory.
I also think you need to know, I am not smarter than a fifth grader. These children are very intelligent. If you think our public schools are not doing a good job, attend a quiz bowl or scholar bowl in your area.
But for now here is a test for you.
Do you know what the Bible says? Below are 30 statements that may or may not be in the Bible. Without the aid of a concordance or Bible software, check which of the following statements are from the Bible, give yourself bonus points if you know book, chapter, and verse. The answers are below the test (no cheating).
- All men are created equal.
- An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.
- Spare the rod and spoil the child.
- Give the devil his due.
- God’s mill grinds slow but sure.
- Blood is thicker than water.
- Lord, what fools these mortals are.
- The time is out of joint.
- Bread is the staff of life.
- Familiarity breeds contempt.
- God moves in mysterious ways.
- God helps those who help themselves.
- To err is human, to forgive is divine.
- Charity begins at home.
- All’s well that ends well.
- As you make your bed, you must lie in it.
- Beauty is only skin deep.
- Sweet are the uses of adversity.
- The gift without the giver is bare.
- Better half a loaf than no bread.
- United we stand, divided we fall.
- A liar will not be believed even when he speaks the truth.
- Confession is good for the soul.
- There is none so blind as those who will not see.
- Neither a borrower or lender be.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- I have escaped by the skin of my teeth.
- Stolen water is sweet.
- I invited Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward.
- Do to others what they do to you.
Did you find all the Bible passages? How many did you find? 15? 10? 5? 2?
The correct number is two. If you missed them they are found in Job 19:20 and Proverbs 9:17.