Lottery – Wanna Bet?
Just this morning the Governor of Alabama proposed letting the citizens of Alabama decide on a State Lottery. His claim is that this “volunteer tax” will help fund Medicaid, Law Enforcement, and other State programs. He cites that our bordering states all have a lottery and that we are losing lottery sales to those states.
Before you voice your opinion on a State-wide Lottery, allow me to give you some notes on gambling:
- What about Christian Benevolence? Working so you can give (through the Church, other charities, to individuals, via taxes) – Ephesians 4:28
- Lotteries prey on the elderly and poor. These are the people who stand in line for tickets using the money they need for the basic necessities of life. – Zechariah 7:9-10
- Gambling plays on our greed (covetousness). We play not to give, but to get what others lost while gambling. Luke 12:15
- Covetousness is idolatry – Colossians 3:5
- Gambling displays a discontent and distrust of God – Philippians 4:11, 19
Here is what John MacArthur said in Exposing the Ten Pillars of Gambling:
“Gambling is the result of post-modern pessimism, the hopelessness of practical atheism, that says, ‘there is no God, no hope, no future, no reason, no rationality – just luck.’ (Gambling) succeeds in a mood . . . Of relativism and atheism, but it doesn’t belong with Biblical Christianity.”
Keep these thoughts in mind as our state considers this dangerous road.
One thought on “Lottery? Wanna Bet?”
It seems to that the Alabama legislature has an insatiable lust for money to waste!