The news reported last night that over 500,000 people have signed a petition to boycott Target. That number is almost 700,ooo this morning. Unless you just ignore social media and the news you know that this boycott is in response to Target’s decision to allow people who self-identify as a different gender from their biological birth to use the bathroom that they feel is correct for them.
But this is not a post about Target, LGBT, bathrooms, outhouses, or boycotts.
I will leave your response to Target, NIKE, Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A, or any other company to you as an individual or family.
This post is about you and I as Christians and what the world thinks about us based on what we say and what we do. Does the world know more about what we are against that what we are for?
If I were to take a microphone and camera to the campus of the University of Alabama (one mile from my study – Roll Tide) and asked random students, “What do Christians believe?” I am afraid the answers would be:
- They believe getting homosexuality is a sin
- They believe transgenderism is a sin
- They believe lesbianism is a sin
- They are against welfare
- They are against healthcare
- They are against raising the minimum wage
- They believe all other religions are wrong.
- They don’t believe in science (climate change, evolution, etc)
- They believe a woman does not have a right to her own body (abortion)
There may be other answers, but I am truly afraid that many if not most people I would talk with would know more about what they think we are against than what we are for.
If this is truly the case . . .
We are OFF TARGET!
- Can I get you to join me in letting people know about the saving power of the blood of Christ?
- Will you join me in a movement to spread the GOOD NEWS of salvation from the wrath of God?
- Will you like Paul admit you are a sinner in need of the grace of God through Christ?
- Will we demonstrate to the world that we believe in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control?
- Will we show them forgiveness and grace?
We are good at pointing fingers and quoting these words, “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
Will we remember verse 11 follows? “And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.” (emp – BSMc)
One thought on “Off Target”
Pingback: Thank You | The Morning Drive