As Christians, we need to know our enemy. Your enemy is not others in your congregation that you had a disagreement with. Your enemy is not the church down the road. Our enemy is not the people across the political aisle. The enemy is Satan – the devil. Starting today and for a few posts that follow I will be sharing things I think we need to know about Satan as our enemy. We begin with what those in Jesus’ day, His apostles and followers, and what Jesus himself said bout Satan:
- Mat 6:13 – Satan is the evil one.
- Mat 12:24 – Satan is the Prince of Demons.
- Mat 13:38-39 – He is the enemy that sows the weeds.
- Joh 8:44 – Satan is a murderer, liar, father of liars.
- Joh 12:31 – Is some ways the devil is the ruler of this world.
- 2Co 4:4 – As ruler Satan takes on the role of the god of this world.
- Eph 2:2 – Paul refers to him as the prince of power of the air.
- 1Th 3:5 – As the tempter, Satan puts our desires of the flesh right out of reach to draw us into his destruction.
- 1Pe 5:8 – More than a distant enemy, he is our adversary who is in our face.
- Rev 12:9 – Satan is the deceiver of the whole world, convincing the world that God is their enemy.
- Rev 12:10 – Jesus came to save the world from sin, Satan however is the accuser – the prosecuting counsel – desiring us to share in his suffering.
But remember, as a child of the King of kings “Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” (1 John 4:4).