The Busy Life of Jesus: (A.K.A. Doesn’t God know that I am busy?)
We have created work cultures which are pushing people beyond their limits. When we look
at our schedules, we doubt anyone is as busy as we are. To be completely honest, everyone else has it easy compared to me.
Our calendars are full with work, school, extra-curricular activities, club memberships, gym memberships, shopping trips (groceries), TV shows, and church events. Looking at all we do, we look back in time and think we would find relaxation living in a “simpler time,” a time when life was not so hectic. If lived in such a time I would have more time to do what needs to be done as well as have time to myself.
Jesus lived in what we would consider a “simpler” time. But Jesus was busy. The Gospel accounts only give a record of about 30 days in the life of Jesus, yet in that time, He was about His Father’s business. He stated, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work,” and “I must work the works . . . while it is still day.” He opened a prayer saying, “I have finished the work which You have sent Me to do,” and he closed His life stating, “It is finished! (cf. Luk 2:49; John 4:34; 9:4-5; 17:4; 19:30.) Jesus was busy!
During his life He performed multiple miracles: 1) Four in nature, 2) Seven handicapped, 3) Three raised from the dead 4) Three demons cast out, 5) Five blind given sight 6) One deaf man healed 7) Healed lepers, and 8) Twice he fed the multitudes.
During His ministry he taught between 35 and 44 parables. He delivered many other sermons (Matt 5-7), and took many other opportunities to teach. John records, “Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.” (Joh 21:25).
- Jesus was busy, but He was not too busy to Observe God’s Creation: Mat 6:28
- Jesus was busy, but never too busy to be with People: Luk 2:52 – He grew in favor with man
- Jesus was busy, but not too busy to Help Just One: John 3 Nicodemus; John 4 Woman at Well; John 8 – Adulterous Woman
- Jesus was busy, but not too busy for Children: Mat 19:13-15
- Jesus was busy, but not too busy to Assemble: Luk 4:16
- Jesus was busy, but not too busy to PRAY. There are over 20 prayers of Jesus recorded in the New Testament. (cf. Heb 5:6-7)
- Jesus was busy, but not too busy for ME and YOU! Rom 5:8, “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
How Busy Are You? What is really important? What is taking up your time?
Let us prioritize our time for God!