I have had a number of fathers cry while talking to me. Watching these men (strong men I look up to) cry started me thinking about the reasons why fathers cry.
Six main reasons fathers cry:
- Birth of child.
- School – that day you drop them off at Pre-school or kindergarten.
- When their children are hurting physically or emotionally.
- When their disobey and rebel.
- When their children leave the nest (I have seen as many fathers crying at weddings as I have mothers).
- When they come home (cf. Luk 15:7).
God is our Father who cries:
- When a child is born into His family. (Joh 3:5 – new birth; 3Jo 4; 2Th 2:19-20).
- When we enter the school of life (Mat 10:5ff).
- When we are hurt (Psa 18:1-6; Luk 7:11-14).
- When we disobey (Luk 15:11ff; Gal 1:6-7).
- When we rejoice (Rom 12:15; Isa 62:5; Joh 15:11; Psa 35:27).
- When we come home (Luk 15:7, 10, 20-24).
Are God’s tears for you, tears of joy or tears of heartbreak?