Ecclesiastes 3:12 says, “I perceived that there is nothing better for them than to be joyful and to do good as long as they live,” (ESV).
Here are a few simple rules for a happy life:
1. Decide to be happy. Happiness is a choice. Look for pleasure in the most simple things.
2. Rule your circumstances don’t let circumstances rule you. Everyone has difficulties and faces some sorrow in life. Decide not to let yours get the best of you. As a friend used to repeat, “turn that frown upside down.”
3. Do NOT let critics ruin your life. Learn now that you cannot please everyone. Focus on being pleasing to God first and to be your best for your family next. Let the rest be misguided if they wish.
4. Don’t worry. An often repeated truth is says, “worry is borrowing tomorrow’s troubles today.” Jesus said not to be anxious about tomorrow, but to trust God to take care of you as you seek Him first.
5. Avoid hate. Hate poisons the heart and soul – yours not the one(s) you hate. Do not hang on to grudges. Practice learning the spirit of forgiveness.
6. Do what you are able to do for those who are less fortunate than you. Two things happen here: First, you realize it really is more blessed to give than to receive, and secondly, you begin to see the blessings you do have.
7. Do not let your past get you down. I learned long ago that Satan is a master at reminding me of my past. I may not have been a terrible person, but I have my share of things I should not have been a part of. I have to remember the slogan, “The next time Satan reminds you of your past, remind him of his future.” Better still, quote Jesus to him, “Get behind me, Satan!”
What can you add?