Imagine that Jay Leno of some other late night host walked through town microphone in hand asking passersby, “What is Christianity?” What answers do you think he would get? I am certain these would be among the answers:
- Christianity is one of many philosophies of life.
- Christianity is one way some choose to understand existence.
- Christianity is one of many superstitions people lean on to cope with life.
- Christianity is a way of life.
- Christianity is The Way of Life.
- What would your answer be?
Would you agree with the following three part answer:
1. Christianity is a Life of Surrender
- Lk 22:42
- Jn 6:38
- Heb 5:8
- Jesus surrendered to the will of God
- He surrendered His life on the Cross.
- He chose to die.
- He could have refused but He surrendered leaving us an example to follow.
- We must learn a Life of Surrender.
- There is a great spiritual paradox taught in Scripture: “We are most filled when we empty ourself to serve others.”
- Jesus said it this way, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35.
2 Christianity is a Life of Love
- 1 Jn 4:8 – God is Love.
- 1 Jn 4:19 – God first loved us.
- Rom 5:8 – God shows His love for us . . .
- What does this mean?
- How do we return such a great love? – 1 Jn 5:2-3.
- We live in a world of counterfeits: Fake tans (air brush tans); Fake ID’s; and Fake Christianity
- Authentic Christianity demonstrates Loving Surrender.
3. Christianity is a Life of Self Denial
- The only way to surrender and to truly love.
- Mk 10:21.
- Learn to distinguish between: Trivial, Important, All Important
- A stain on my tie is trivial.
- Supporting / loving my family is important.
- Faithfulness to God is all important.
- Too often we ‘Major in what is minor and Minor in the major” or “We worship our work, work at our play, and play at our worship.”
- Focus Again on What is All Important – Matt 6:33-34.