Lessons from Ruth
Chronological Series – BSMc – April 10, 2011
- During time of Judges, Elimelech and Naomi travel to Moab fleeing a famine.
- They have two sons – Mahlon and Chilion
- Elimelech dies living widow and two sons.
- Mahlon marries Ruth from Moab, Chilion marries Orpah.
- Mahlon and Chilion both die – now three widows.
- Naomi believes God is punishing her – Ruth 1:13, 20-21.
- She plans to return home
- Orpah stays, Ruth wants to go with Naomi – Ruth 1:14-18.
- Naomi and Ruth Come to Bethlehem
- Ruth gleans in Boaz’s field
- Boaz cares for them.
- Boaz becomes Ruth and Naomi’s redeemer-kinsman. Marries Ruth.
- Ruth and Boaz are the great-grandparents of David.
Lesson One: Choices and Consequences
- Elimelech and Naomi chose to leave home during famine.
- Good business decision
- Resulted in death of Elimelech and sons in a foreign nation.
- Ruth chose to follow Naomi
- Left family and native religion for God and His people (family)
- Mk 10:29-30.
- Pelagius – 354 – 440 AD – humans are sinners by choice, they are therefore criminals who need the atonement of Jesus Christ. Sinners are not victims, they are criminals who need pardon.
- Choices are not always “right / wrong” but “good / better”
- God can and will bless our choices if:
- Matt 6:33 seek first
- Rom 8:28 love His appearing
Lesson Two: Humility
- Ruth 2:1-7
- Gleaning was God’s care for the needy, the traveler, etc.
- Lev 19:9-10
- Deut 24:19-22
- Her humility brought about Boaz’s kindness
- Lunch with workers
- Stay in his fields alone
- Protected from harm
- Workers told to “drop” extra
- Approx.. 40 lbs of grain from gleaning.
- Naomi’s realization – Ruth 2:20 – God has not forsaken me.
- God has a place in His heart for the humble – 1 Pet 5:5-7.
Lesson Three: Light in Darkness
- Ruth’s story occurs during the time of the Judges.
- Jdg 21:23
- Naomi, Ruth, and Boaz seem to follow God
- Not all (everyone) was in the wrong all the time.
- Learn to live right among people who seem to follow self instead of God.
- Eph 5:7-12
- Matt 5:13-16