Journey through Jericho
Chronological Series – BSMc
April 3, 2011
- On west side of Jordan, not far from where Israel camped.
- A walled city – 2 walls 14ft apart connected by beams.
- Houses (like Rahab’s) were on those beams.
- The Lord’s command to Joshua (Josh 6:3-5)
- If Joshua and people followed God’s lead, the walls would fall flat.
Our Ways are not God’s Ways.
- How would you have taken Jericho?
- Typical siege.
- God’s ways – Is 55:8-9.
- Blood on door post?
- Naaman dipping in Jordan?
- Messiah born to young working-class couple?
- Tax-collector, fisherman, and zealots as Messiah’s companions?
- How would man obey the gospel if left up to him?
Grace Benefits Man
- God is full of Grace in OT too.
- Josh 6:2
- God gave them the city.
- They possessed it by His GRACE.
- Food on our table is by grace.
- We depend on God’s goodness and grace in all of life.
- Eph 2:4-5 – Salvation is by grace.
- Conditions to possess Jericho were not enough to take the city w/o God.
- Conditions of salvation CANNOT save w/o God.
What Faith Is.
- Heb 11:30
- Marching = fallen walls.
- Obedience = Faith.
- Rom 5:1
- Faith is living, active, moving, and obedient.
- Gal 3:26-27
God’s Way is ALWAYS Successful
- When God attaches a promise to a command – our obedience brings fulfillment of the promise.
- Numb 23:19
- Heb 6:17-18
Walls in our Lives:
- Walls of Prejudice
- Walls of Distrust
- Walls of Hatred
- Wall of Callous Hearts toward God, Christ, Church.
- Walls of Personal Sin
- God still brings down walls.