This is this past Sunday’s sermon from our chronological study through the Bible. I compiled this from many sources. – Scott
Tassels and Fringe
Chronological Study – 03.06.2011
BSMc – Parrish, Alabama
Matthew 14:34-36 – “hem or fringe” of Jesus’ garment.
- Most likely the fringe or tassel – Numbers 15:38.
- As clothing styles changed Hebrews designed “Tallits” or Prayer Shawls
- Other passages on tallits and tassels.
- During times of deep prayer would cover head completely – Matt 6:6.
- David cut off the tassel of Saul’s garment – 1 Sam 24.
- Elijah’s mantle was likely his “tallit”
- Mal 4:2 prophecies of Jesus.
- From four threads doubled making eight.
- Blue in time of Bible / Black now to mark mourning over temple
- Tied in a series of five knots – Torah (Pentateuch)
- A constant reminder of connection to God
- Four corners of garment – no matter which way a man looked.
Reminder of Requirements before God: Num 15:39-40
- They were required to keep God’s law.
- Not 10 but 613 laws
- 365 “thou shalt nots”
- 248 “thou shalts”
A Reminder for US
- Law keeping is not salvation, but demonstrates our love – Jn 14:15, 21.
- A child of God is not sinlessly perfect, but desires and focuses on being righteous and Christlike – 1 Jn 2:3-4; 5:2-3
Reminder of Responsibility before God: Num 15:39
- They had an obligation to be separate from evil.
- Keeping commands is external
- Tassels promoted inward obedience – heart.
- Possible for them to keep the letter of the law and miss the heart
- Sermon on the Mount – Matt 5:27-48.
A Reminder for Us.
- The lord expects His people to live separate lives internally and externally.
- We need to see all sins as what they are – 1 Jn 3:4
- Obedience begins on the inside – Mk 7:9-23
- God desires us to be the real deal in and out.
Reminder of Relationship to God: Num 15:40-41
- Notice the word, “your”
- A personal relationship of sorts
- They needed to remember:
- Who they were,
- Whose they were, and
- What was expected of them.
- The came to believe they were saved by keeping the Law
- Tallit: “Blessed are You, Lord our God, Ruler of the universe, Who makes us holy with commandments”
A Reminder for Us
- Salvation is not what you do, but Who you know – 2 Ths 1:7-9.
- We are holy by the blood of Christ – Eph 1:7
- Salvation is a faith-based relationship with God through Jesus the Christ by Grace – Eph 2:8-10.
Reminder of Redemption by God: Num 15:41
- The tassels reminded them they were God’s special people.
- Purchased by blood of lambs – Ex 12
- Redeemed out of bondage to Egypt
- God led, fed, and blessed them.
- They were His possession.
A Reminder for Us
- God through Christ redeemed us – 1 Pet 1:16-19
- A great price (Agony and Glory of the Cross)
- We are His special possession – 1 Pet 2:9-10