Not Just About Joseph from the Chronological Series – 2011
– Scott McCown
- Not your typical lesson on the life of Joseph.
- Took time to look at the characters around Joseph.
The Danger of Jealousy
- Gen 37:4, 18-24, 28
- Is there Jealousy among Christians?
– Not always about things.
– Put the efforts of others down.
– “Wish I had time to . . .”
– No one ever notices what I do around here.
- Prov 14:30.
– “To cure jealousy is to see it for what it is, a dissatisfaction with self.”
Lies and Manipulation
- Gen 39:11-18
- She lied to manipulate the scene.
– Joseph was not willing to go along with her sin.
– She turned his stand against him.
- We tell lies when we are afraid of:
– What we don’t know.
– What others will think.
– What will be found out about us.
- Potiphar’s wife was guilty of pursuing an adulterous relationship. We may not be guilty of such longing or pursuits. We may however be guilty of Emotional Adultery. Click here for a good related article)
– Romantic movies, television, and movies can lead us to dwell on things we should avoid.
– Rom 8:5-7.
- Gen 39:19-20.
- Potiphar judged Joseph unfairly.
– Allowed self to be manipulated.
– “Let every man judge according to his own standards, by what he himself has read (seen), not by what others tell him.” – A. Einstein.
- Gen 40:23; 41:1, 9-13
- The cupbearer was too busy to do what was right.
– He was too focused on self.
– Jesus – Others – You.
– Live the Attitude of Gratitude.
– 1 Ths 5:16-18.
- “Blessed are those who give without remembering and blessed are those who get without forgetting.” – B. Meltser.
- He could have given up or given in.
- My brothers do not like my ambition, I will just under-achieve.
- Mrs. Potiphar is a powerful woman. If I do not do what she wants then . . .
- Mr. Potiphar did not want my side of the story, doing right is not all it is cracked up to be.
- How could the butler forget what I did for him, the ingrate! See if I ever do anything for anyone again. I am going to look out for me.
- Cannot help but think of:
- Paul suffering for the cause of Christ.
- Jesus suffering for our salvation.
- 1 Pet 1:21.
- John 15:18-21.
- We will suffer:
- The jealousy of others.
- The lies of others.
- The misjudgments of others.
- When others forget us.
- But we MUST continue to live for God.