This is the outline from Sunday’s sermon from our Chronological reading this year. Our reading text covered Genesis 12 -31. I found myself amazed at the impact the choices the characters had on their lives. Enjoy:
Abram Chose to Follow God.
- Gen 15:6, “And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.”
Abram Chose to Take Lot with Him.
- Gen 12:4.
- God’s command, “Go from your country and your kindred . . .” 12:1.
- God said leave your family, Abram took his nephew Lot with him. This would cause Abraham grief.
Abraham Chose to Lie about Sarah Twice.
- Pharaoh – Gen 12:17-20.
- Abimelech – Gen 20:1-7; 17-18.
Lot Chose the Fertile Lands Near Sodom and Gomorrah.
- Gen 13:10-12.
- Gen 14 – taken captive.
- Gen 19 – Lost home and family (wife, daughter’s sin).
- Lot’s descendants through his daughters would become the enemies of Israel.
Abram and Sarai Chose to “Help” God’s Plan.
- Hagar and Ishmael – Gen 16:1-6.
- This caused problems between Sarai and Abram, Sarai and Hagar, and eventually led to Hagar and Ishmael leaving.
- Ishmael’s descendants would eventually and continually plague Israel.
Abraham Chose to Follow God’s Covenant.
- Gen 17 – Circumcision.
- Note that God did not confirm his promise of Isaac nor was Isaac born until after Abraham kept this covenant.
Abraham Chose to Follow God and Offer Isaac.
- Relate Gen 22:1-19.
- Read Gen 22:17-18.
Do not have time to talk about the choices of:
- Isaac lying about Rebekah
- Esau choosing food over a birthright.
- Jacob deceiving Isaac or working 14 years for Rachel.
Our Choices Determine the Quality of Our Life.
- Job choice – What will I do? How will I apply myself to my vocation?
- School choice – Will I continue my education? Will I do my best in school?
- Choice of spouse – Who will I marry? Will I devote myself to my spouse?
- Choice to have children – When will I have children? If physically unable, will I adopt?
- Where to live – rural, suburban, urban?
- How to live – What will be the focus of my life?
Your life is NOT your family’s fault. Your life is yours.
- “Many of the people I treat come to me when they find themselves making the same mistake(s) over and over.” – Dr. Jack Brown
- We make the same mistakes because we do NOT choose to change.
- Life is a series of choices.
Apply to Sin
- I can choose to do what is wrong.
- You can choose to do what is right.
You Have a CHOICE!
- Hell or Heaven – Acts 26:27-29.
- This Life or Eternal Life – Col 3:1-4.
- When Abraham, Sarah, Lot, Isaac, Jacob, Esau, etc. chose . . .
- To step in and do things his way trouble followed.
- To follow God’s way then blessings followed.
Choose Today – 1 Kgs 18:21, “How long will you go limping between two different opinions? If the LORD is God, follow him;”