One of my earliest blog posts was on this topic. This is not a repeat of that post, but you can read the early post here. Today’s post is simply a list of why some are Falling Away from Christ and the Church.
- Hearts not kept pure – Prov 4:23, “Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it flows the springs of life.”
- Attacks from Satan. Our enemy looks for our weaknesses like a lion looking for weakened prey (1 Pet 5:8).
- Choosing relationships (friendships) poorly – 1 Cor 15:33, “Do not be deceived. Bad company corrupts good morals.”
- Sin is fun. If sin were not fun, why would we find it tempting? Moses forsook the “pleasures of sin.’ (Heb 11:25).
- What is good becomes bad. Not everything fun is sinful, but if we allow them to control us they can become our idols (cf. Matt 13:22 – the cares of the world choke the seed).
- What is bad becomes good. “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil . . .” Isa 5:20.
- Persecution. When we stand for right, we will have opposition. Some buckle under the pressure of conformity.
- The Cost is high. God expects our total commitment (Luke 14:26ff).
There are many other reasons people give up on God. What do you want to add to my list?
Tomorrow I will give some ways we can remain faithful.