This is the outline I preached from yesterday morning. I traditionally preach a sermon on marriage sometime around the 12th of August which is our wedding anniversary (this Aug 12 Amy and I will celebrate 21 years of marriage). Here are some things I learned through the years.
How to Have a Happy Marriage
Why Adam and Eve had the perfect marriage:
- Eve never had to hear how good a cook his mother was.
- Adam never had to hear about all the men Eve could have married.
- Adam could honestly say Eve was the best looking woman in the world.
- Adam never went fishing with his pals.
- Eve meant it when she told him, “You’re the only one for me.”
- They did not have to keep up with the neighbors.
Hold Hands Often
- Prov 5:18
- Enjoy being together.
- Do things together (cook, gardening, walks)
- Stand together against the world – Eccl 4:9-12.
Say, “I Love You” Every Day
- Prov 17:17
- Eph 5:28-29
- “I told you when we first married and I will let you know if I change my mind.”
Never Go to Sleep Angry at Each Other
- Psa 37:8
- Eph 4:26
- Practice Biblical Conflict Resolution.
- Learn to Forgive – Mk 11:25
Help Each Other Grow
- 1 Pet 3:1-8
- Note wives to husbands / husbands to wives.
- Relationships help or impede spiritual growth.
Enjoy What is Good and Beautiful
- Phil 4:8
- Look for the best in each other.
- “Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.”
Say “Thank You” Daily.
- Prov 5:18
- For meals, for help, for love, for being there.
- Demonstrate thanks in action.
- Give 110% / Appreciate 1% return.
Marry the Right Person
- While, I do not believe there is only one person out there for the unmarried, I do believe we can choose wisely and that one of many can be a right person for us and us for them.
- The right person is – 1 Cor 9:5 (believer)
- Be the right person – Eph 5:25-29
Book Recommendation: His Needs / Her Needs – Willard F Harley, Jr.
- This books builds on the concept of understanding each other cf. 1 Pet 3:7
- Sexual intimacy
- Recreational companion
- A Spouse that he considers attractive
- Domestic Support
- Admiration (What Paul calls respect in Eph 5)
- Affection (What Paul describes as love in Eph 5)
- Honesty and Openness
- Financial Support
- Family Commitment