Here is an example of a mostly expository outline. This is skeletal, so you if you use this please research the background material.
The Heresy at Colossae
- Observe Jewish festivals
- Observe mystic festivals
- God works through angels and ethereal beings who we must appease to gain favor.
- Paul teaches them Christ in the form of a hymn-like passage.
Christ in Colossians
- Colossians 1:15
- Christ is the Firstborn
- Col 1:15-17
- He is before creation and is the creator.
- Jn 1:1-4
- He is the source of our being and deserves our allegiance.
- The Firstborn is God’s
- Passover lamb
- Levites chosen to represent the firstborn of all families.
- God created Adam (man) first and set him to serve as spiritual leader.
- Christ is the FIRSTBORN!
- Col 1:18
- Firstborn from the dead.
- 1 Cor 15:12-20
- “But now Christ is risen from the dead and become the first-fruits of those who have fallen asleep.”
- He proves the validity of God’s plan.
Christ is the Head of the Body
- Col 1:18
- The body is a living organism not a stale institution.
- Eph 1:22-23
- Rom 12:4-8
- Christ is Head
- The body lives from Him
- The Body learns from Him
- He is the mind, supplies direction and vision.
Christ is the Reconciler
- Col 1:19-20
- He Reunites us with God.
- Attributes of God vs. our nature
- Righteous vs. our sin (Rom 3:23)
- Just vs. our sentence (Rom 6:23a)
- Loving vs. our plight (1 Tm 2:3-4)
- Merciful vs. our reality (2 Pt 3:9)
- Gracious in His gift (Rom 6:23b)
- Christ Fulfills our need at the cross (Eph 1:3,7)
4 thoughts on “Expository Sermon Outline of Colossians 1:15-20”
Pingback: Top Ten of 400 posts « The Morning Drive
Pingback: Expository Sermon Outlines | Expository Preaching Training
Pingback: My Top Posts by Views | The Morning Drive
Pingback: Ten Year Review part Two | The Morning Drive