We live in a world that wants to divide us. Society informs us that we have to choose a side. Are you in group A or group B? Do you support who I support or are you my enemy? This seems to be the way many want us to think. Soon, we find ourselves pulled into the fray. Will we become a part of the problem or a part of the solution?
How to be part of the problem:
- Post articles on social media support your point of view without fat-checking the source.
- Post quips or memes that make pointed statements that are inflammatory in nature.
- Write and share things that accuse those that disagree with your point of view as being ignorant.
- Believe all articles and posts that challenge your preconceived ideas are fabricated.
- Support your candidate, or political party leader to the point that you gloss over their faults and mistakes while pointing out the faults and mistakes of others.
- Accuse those who counter your beliefs as intolerant while you remain intolerant of theirs.
How do be part of the solution:
- Share positive messages of good that people are doing, even those who you disagree with socially, politically, or religiously.
- Encourage others (build others up) with your spoken and written words (Eph 4:29).
- Keep an open mind and learn from those you disagree with.
- Love your neighbor whether they are Christian, atheist, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Independent, Asian, Caucasian, Middle-Eastern, African, heterosexual, homosexual, married, single, divorced, young, or old as you love yourself. (Matt 22:39).
- Treat people the way you want others to treat you (Matt 7:12).
- Check, re-check, and check again the facts before you share an article on social media.
- If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
What role are you living? Paul tells us as Christians, “If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.” Rom 12:18. Will you be a part of the problem or a part of the solution?