I suppose there are a myriad of reasons why people assemble with the people of God. Some attend because their family expects them to be there. Some because friends expect them there. Some attend out of guilt or shame. Some attend because they want to be with others. There are those who attend because of a love for God. I talked with one politician who admitted he attended where he did because there were important people there from the area he represented. Maybe you have your own reason(s) for “going to church.”
What ever your reasons, I think that they fall under the influence of one or more or these motivators:
- God / Christ
Why should we attend worship assembly? Again, there are many healthy reasons to assemble with Christians. I am not sure there is ONE best or only reason. However, a basic reason to attend worship focuses on God and Christ. We assemble to praise the God who gave Himself for us. I believe that when we mature in our knowledge and understanding of what the Good News of our salvation in Christ is about, we cannot help but long to worship Him and to sing God’s praise among the congregation of His people. Take note of the Psalmist’s reasoning:
- (Psa 22:22) I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation I will praise you:
- (Psa 22:25) From you comes my praise in the great congregation; my vows I will perform before those who fear him.
- (Psa 35:18) I will thank you in the great congregation; in the mighty throng I will praise you.
- (Psa 40:9-10) I have told the glad news of deliverance in the great congregation; behold, I have not restrained my lips, as you know, O LORD. I have not hidden your deliverance within my heart; I have spoken of your faithfulness and your salvation; I have not concealed your steadfast love and your faithfulness from the great congregation.
- (Psa 68:26) “Bless God in the great congregation, the LORD, O you who are of Israel’s fountain!”
- (Psa 107:32) Let them extol him in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders.
- (Psa 111:1) Praise the LORD! I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.
So, why do you assemble with the saved?