Psalm 101 that reminds me of college class titles for my Freshman year at Faulkner University in the mid-1980’s (English 101, Dr. Kelly Morris). In a way Psalm 101 is a basic class, that is basic instruction on how to walk the talk. Psalms 101 is the King’s (David’s) description on living with integrity – LIFE 101.
I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O LORD, I will make music. I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil. Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure. I will look with favor on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he who walks in the way that is blameless shall minister to me. No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes. Morning by morning I will destroy all the wicked in the land, cutting off all the evildoers from the city of the LORD.
There are seven things in David says are helps to walking with integrity:
- Sing of God’s steadfast love and justice 101:1.
- Ponder (meditate) about what is right 101:2.
- Do not look at (watch) things that do not build-up 101:3.
- Keep the perverse and evil away from you 101:4.
- Do not put up with gossips and the conceited 101:5.
- Surround yourself with the influence of good people 101:6.
- Keep your distance from liars and cheats 101:7.