Austin Taylor penned the following lyrics in 1911. They are some of the most meaningful to me;
“Closer to Thee, near to Thy side, Closer dear Lord, I would abide;
Hold me in Thy embrace, ‘neath every smile of grace,
Grant me, Thy child a place Closer to Thee.”
The Greeks wanted to see Jesus. Parents brought their children to see and be near Jesus. A woman with a disease physicians could not cure, wanted only to be near enough to Jesus to touch his garment. There is something about Jesus that draws people in (John 12:32). Do you long to be closer to the Savior?
Here are SIX ways you and I can grow nearer to the Savior:
- Pray. Take time each day to talk to the Father through His Son.
- Learn from Jesus. Read the story of His life as recorded by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.
- Meditate, reflect on His life, His teachings, His mission, and His sacrifice.
- Sing His praise.
- Associate and assemble with His people on a regular basis.
- Be His child (Gal 3:26-27).