This morning on the way to the study, Lisa Mason on Birmingham’s 106.9 FM had the following “nearly impossible trivia:” –
The average person does this 15 to 20 times a month. Most answers varied between eating out and washing hair. The correct answer was . . . drum roll please . . . quote lines from movies.
I started thinking. Do I know more movie lines than I do Bible passages? As a preacher, I hope the answer is, “No.” But I do quote movies, especially “The Princess Bride” a lot. So I want to give you a test. There are twenty fill-in-the-blank questions. The odd ones are from movies and the even ones are Bible verses. Which do you know best? Don’t cheat on either one – no Googling, no Bibles or Bible apps. Use your memory. Bonus point if you know the book, chapter and verse.
- “I’m going to make him an _______________ he can’t refuse.”
- “In the ________________ God created the heavens and the earth.”
- “Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in _________________ anymore.”
- “You shall have no other _____________ before Me.”
- “Go ahead, make my ________________.”
- ” . . . _______________ this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
- “E.T. ________________ home.”
- “The Lord is my ________________; I shall not want.”
- “Round up all the usual _____________________.”
- “_____________ God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.”
- “You’re gonna need a _________________ boat.”
- “My people are ______________ for a lack of knowledge.”
- “Houston, we have a ____________________.”
- “Not everyone who says to me Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who _________ the will of my Father who is in heaven.”
- Stricker: “Surely you can’t be serious.” Rumack: “I am serious and don’t call me _______________”
- “But seek __________ the kingdom of God and his righteousness . . .”
- “I feel the need, the need for _________________”
- “For in Christ we are all children of God by _______. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”
- “Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, ______________ to die.”
- “If we have died with him; we will also ____________ with him;”
So, how did you do?
7 thoughts on “What Do We Know About”
Though this was neat. I think I got about 15 out of the 20.
I thought it would be fun. I hope you got more Bible than you did movies 🙂
I missed one of the bible quotes, got all of the movie quotes. In fairness though, I think I could recall the context of the bible passages better than the context of the movie quotes.
That is why you get bonus points for knowing the passage! But it does say something about the way society and the world influences us whether we like to admit it or not.
Hard to live in the world and not be affected by it to some degree. We gain a lot of cultural knowledge passively (for instance, I know some of the movie quotes above without having actually seen the movies they’re from). Bible study is not passive though.
No Bible study is not passive, but the more I am around people who live Christ-like and talk about the things of God and the more I assemble with His people studying and learning, the more the God’s Word influences my life.
I got about 15 Bible quotes and not so many movie quotes. I couldn’t do book ,chapter and verse though.