Have you ever asked – or thought – that question? Has someone asked you that question? Maybe it was in a situation where your wife, or husband, had expectations that you simply missed. You ask, “What do you want me to do (say)?” It is possible that such a question arises out of frustration, but behind that frustration is a sincere heart. Micah rhetorically asks the people of God, “”With what shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt offerings, with calves a year old? Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?” (Mic 6:6-7). Moses poses a similar query, “And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you” (Deu 10:12). Then answers his own thoughts.
- He wants an AWE ( Deu 10:12 –”Fear the Lord your God”). He rejects flippant, heartless, lackadaisical, bored, and faithless approaches, He praises the one who falls before Him in godly fear Heb 12:28 God calls such “blessed” Psa 128:1, “life-giving” Pro 10:27; 14:27, “preserving” Pro 16:6, “growth-inducing” (Act 9:31), and “persuasive” 2Co 5:11).
- He wants an ACT (Deu 10:12 ”Walk in all His ways”). Lip-service (cf. Isa 29:13 ) apart from living sacrifice Rom 12:1 sickens God! Notice, He does not want partial obedience. He expects us to walk in all His ways! We do not get to follow God on our own terms. He wants full obedience!
- He wants an AFFECTION (Deu 10:12 ”love Him”). This is the first, greatest command Mat 22:37. God modeled the kind of love He wants reciprocated ( 1Jo 4:19 ). He is not satisfied with a cold, aloof “relationship.” Jesus is proof positive that He wants intimacy and closeness.
- He wants an ATTITUDE (Deu 10:12 –”Serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul”). Man wants to receive. He wants to be “king of the mountain.” He wants happiness and fulfillment at the price of another. God wants us to give, humble self, and consider what others need Phi 2:4 In fact, He calls this “great.”
- He wants an APPLICATION (Deu 10:13 –”Keep the Lord’s commandments and His statutes”). Intellectual assent, alone, is insufficient. He wants His truth to live in our lives! He wants His will to play out in our thoughts, words, and deeds
Why does God want all of this from us? The better we understand God the better we become.