Good (healthy) communication is a key ingredient to any long-lasting relationship, especially marriage. We need to be certain that we are doing our best to communicate with our spouse. Communication is more that talking and listening. Communication is the transfer of information, ideas, and emotion. Real communication takes effort if we are going to understand what our spouse is trying to say.
To help us with our communication, take a look at the following passages taken from The New Living Translation:
- Eph 4:15 Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of His body, the church.
- Jas 3:2 Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way.
- 1Pe 3:10 For the Scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies.
- Eph 4:31-32 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
- Pro 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.
- Pro 12:18 Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing.
- Pro 14:29 People with understanding control their anger; a hot temper shows great foolishness.
- Pro 15:4 Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.
- Pro 15:23 Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time!
- Pro 17:9 Love prospers when a fault is forgiven, but dwelling on it separates close friends.
photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/h-k-d/5640009493/ via http://photopin.com”>photopin http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/