Recently I spoke at the Lectureships at Faulkner University in Montgomery, Alabama. My assigned passage and topic was “Let us Come to Fear” Hebrews 4:1. What I post today is Pt 1 of the outline I developed and used for the lecture. It seemed to me that folks received it well.
Let Us Come to Fear
BSMc – 03.06.2012
- Born with two fears:
- Before long we learn others
- Phobos – Panic or flight
- Awe or reverence
- Phoberos – causing terror (terrible)
- Phobeo – to be alarmed (afraid)
- Entromos – tremble with fear
The Negative Impact of Fear
- Paralyze – “what if I fail?”
- Lead to defeat – Numbers 13 – 10 of 12 spies.
- Influence others to fear – Jos 14:8
- Leads to disobedience
- Prevent salvation – Rev 21:8
Conquering Negative Fear
- Faith – Phi 4:13
- Examine self – 2Co 13:5
- Accept Responisbility – Ecc 12:13
- Repent – Luk 13:3
Fear and Trembling is not a concept we explore often
- “No Fear” is a common theme
- Want to hear of love, joy, peace . . .
- This maybe a reaction to “hell, fire, and brimstone” sermons of yesteryear.
- Remember Rom 11:22, “Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off.”
Lack of Fear for God
- Leads to a lack of commitment
- Leads to a lack of purity (sexual immorality, MDR, Gambling, changes in worship)
- Leads to apathy in evangelism
- A greater fear of man – Heb 13:6
- This was Peter’s sin in Gal 2:11-12
- To keep from falling into Peter’s trap we need an overruling fear of God!
Heb 4:1, “Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it.”
- Phobeo – be alarmed (be frightened / be afraid)
- Proper fear of the Lord includes:
- Awe (reverence / respect) – Heb 12:28-29
- Being afraid to offend God – Mat 10:28
- Shaking in our boots – Phi 2:12
There is a Place for Fear
- Pro 1:7 – Fear is the beginning of knowledge
- Want to know what God expects (demands)
- Will search His will
- Deu 31:10-13 – “to learn to fear the Lord your God.”
- Consider Rom 2:4-11 – Do you fear God now?
- Pro 16:6 – “by the fear of the Lord one turns away from evil.”
- Fear leads to effort to change for the better
- Hebrew writer gives reasons to Fear God.
- God’s record against the disobedient – Heb 4:5-6
- God’s word is the standard – Heb 4:12
- His word opens us to true examination
- God sees all people and all that we do – Heb 4:13
- BE AFRAID! Be very afraid!