- The Good Shepherd – John 10:11, “I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the Sheep.” As my shepherd, He guards, keeps, and protects me. I trust Him to lead me in paths of righteousness.
- The Son of God – Matthew 27:54, ” . . . Surely He was the Son of God!” The Son of God emptying Himself of eternal glory, becoming a poor, obedient servant so that I could become rich in righteousness toward God.
- Savior – Luke 2:11, “Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you;” The Savior! The One who risked all and gave all including His life to rescue be from the prison of sin.
- Immanuel – Matthew 1:23, ” . . . they will call Him Immanuel” – which means, “God with us.” Not what if God was one of us, but God WAS one of us. God decending from heaven, not to punish, not to judge, but to offer Himself as the appeasement to Himself.
- Lamb of God – John 1:29, “Look the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” The vision revealed to John in Revelation is that the Lamb of God, the sacrificed One, is the only one worthy to open the scroll. The one who died in my stead.
- Light of the World – John 8:12, ” . . . I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” Light illuminates my path, revealing the dangers (obstacles) in my way. Where there is light, darkness cannot harm.
- Prince of Peace – Isaiah 9:6, “And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” The peace He brings is vertical – between me (the unholy sinner) and God (the Holy). The peace He brings in horizontal when you and I are both in Him.
- Bread of Life – John 6:35, ” . . . I am the Bread of Life. He who comes to me will never god hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.” Life without Him is empty, without Him I hunger for fulfillment and look in the wrong places never being satisfied, never getting the spiritual nutrition I need. In Him, I find satisfaction and maturation.
- Lord – Rom 6:23, “the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus, our Lord.” Lord, Ruler, Authority. As Peter asked, where else can I go? (John 6:68-69).
- Son of Man – Matthew 20:28, ” . . . the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give His life as a ransom for many.” This is seemingly Jesus’ favorite self-designation. This title reminds us of His humanity and the suffering He endured as a man for the rest of mankind.
- King of kings – Revelation 17:14, ” . . . But the Lamb will overcome them because He is Lord of lords and King of kings . . .” Every knee will bow and every tongue confess. Will I bow in this life? Will I confess Him now? Or will I wait until it is too late?
- Christ – Matthew 16:16, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Christ – Anointed One, Messiah. He is God’s chosen. He is the fulfillment of prophecy and the realization of God’s eternal plan.
What will you and I do with Jesus?